Sunday, May 19, 2019

Self-Definition

Self-Definition

As my oldest child is swiftly arriving at her age of legal adulthood, it has become a time of perhaps more self-reflection than usual. Earning my education degree in my late 20s provided a time of reflection on my life at that time, especially in the educational psychology class of spring 1998; perhaps establishing a standard for future reflections and self-assessments. I think it was a propitious time for my own inward self-search and the subsequent journal documentation, since I had spent the previous two plus years "finding myself" after a college degree, i.e. working, dating, investigating professional and academic opportunities and fields.

One note of self-analysis: I was bent on obtaining a college degree as my own parents had not done. At least no 4 years Bachelors. They helped me do that, and I kept moving.

I proceeded to work in different fields, not many with substantial success.

Exploring a bit.

More on individual and collective reflections: recently I have been able to speak with my own octogenarian father, some on the past, which is an interesting exercise. I can remind him of things long forgotten from 37 years ago, or more.

I am approaching 50. No small feat.

No huge deal, turning a half century, nothing too special. There are millions, almost billions presently alive (2019), who have achieved that milestone. Nothing big, but still an accomplishment. Reason to celebrate. Usually. Hopefully.

Turning 18 is a cool deal too, a reason to cherish. It is an achievement both by the individual and the parents involved, and the entire village that raised him or her, as more popularly coined by the generational source of enlightenment, Hillary Clinton. Politics aside, no offense meant, just poking some fun at a representative of the government and political community that has spurned and otherwise used me for years. Long live our diplomats and the greater U.S. government!

I love them and serve them, as they do us. Exclamation points, for emphasis. !!!

Sarcasm to be interpreted as it may. A little Vonnegut-esque barb.

I digress. Which is somewhat like reflecting, self-analysis.

Writing.

We all develop self-identities and characters based on our own traits and those of our parents, role models, cultural touchstones. Could be teachers, coaches, artists, world or local leaders.

Most of us figure out who we want to be, who we confide in, how we think and process, by accepting or rejecting, collecting or offloading knowledge and habits and customs and styles, some strongly influenced by our parents, siblings, peers and cohorts. 

Accept or reject what I say.

Trust but verify.

Figure out who you are, who to put confidence and loyalty in, what you trust and how you operate.

Have fun.

Define yourself with care and aplomb, with some regret but a lot of trying.

Be who you are, if even you believe you were meant for such things.

I think all that is true.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment