Saturday, August 23, 2014

High School Dialogue


A few years ago (2011, I think) I wrote this imitation/satirical piece about the way some youth (and a few older folk) talk. When I taught at Pacific High School in San Bernardino, California, a lot of these sayings and phrases became etched in my mind. Some of it I had heard in the popular media in the years prior and since, but it is amazing to hear this from the real mouths of those we know and rub shoulders with. That was over 10 years ago, but I have stayed in pretty close contact with a lot of youth ever since. And I have been a foreign language linguist and English teacher a lot of my life, so this stuff is part of what I do. I listen and I report. And I added a few late redactings...

In 2014, there are a few people from coast to coast who might get what I'm talking about.

U.S.A.

Enjoy at your own peril.

High School Dialogue

So she said, "Are you frontin', teach?"

And I told her, "I'm for real, yo!"

And she's all, "You best not be playin', dawg!"

And I'm all, "Don't be trippin', girlfirend! It's all chillio on the dillio."

And she says, "No you did-int, pops!"

And I said, "I'm keepin' it real, home girl."

And she's all, "YOU be trippin', bro! Bring it down. Cuz I ain't no fool, cuz."

And I replied, "Chillax, my sister. It's all crack-a-lackin'. That's what's up. Boyeee!"

"Fo shizzle, mah nizzle?"

"Fa sheezy, mah neezy!"

"That's what's up."

"Yo playa, then let's all just keep it on the DL."

"Yay yeh, peace out wid it like we wasn't skurred o' representin'."

"Word."

"And don't be hatin' on the hatorade, and best stay out of my Kool Aid, cuz, 'cuz that'll get it hot up in this piece."

Hold a sec: Is this off the hook?  It ain't off the chain? This be gettin' real, fool...

Chale, homes. Simon carnal, ese. Basta de eso, vato.

But in Ebonics we might just go 'round and 'round, gettin' it on like Donkey Kong!

Do you feel me, G?

You feel me, homey?

Yo, that's what's up, cuz... rillio on the dillio, I am for real.

Good looking out, my peeps.

I ain't no Original Gangsta, but I do feel my OGs foh sheeze.

And nobody said it wadn't nothin' but a G thaing, but...

Let's bring it in on up out of the hizzo, yo, and take it to da' streets and feel the love of the rizzle, dizzle.

Fo sho' I will feel you on the hizzle.

Word, boyeee.

Yes I did.

So chillax, fool.

That's what it be, that's what it was.

Did I stutter?




BLOG IT>EMC> (Maybe, run EMC, like RUN, CLINCH.)










No comments:

Post a Comment